Friday, September 16, 2011

The Nook Color: Eye Opening

It’s funny how things happen sometimes. A few days ago I simply raised my hand in class, picked a number between one and three and then:

I have a Nook!

Immediately after, I'm thinking:

Wow. This is very expensive. Where’s the case? I should probably have a case for this. Better yet, a pink one. A pink case with a glittery letter “N” on the front. Do they sell those anywhere? Oh right. This isn’t mine. I’m borrowing it! Well, how does this thing turn on?

I press down lightly on the “N” button at the bottom of the device. My eyes are immediately alerted: this is not a Kindle. This is the future of e-book reading led by a bright colorful screen and a menu. Let’s not forget to mention its touch screen capabilities.

 This is…kind of…cool.

I have to admit that until now, the way I’ve felt about the Nook is similar to the way a New Yorker feels about Times Square. It’s interesting and pretty to look at, but it’s only one part of the city. To me, the Nook is one of many avenues to travel down as a reader. Because I am an avid reader, I should represent Nook’s core audience right? Although as a woman, this might hold some truth, (check out this article about Nook Color’s audience at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/business/media/23nook.html) I am more than a little hesitant.

In my short lifetime, I’ve seen computer desktops progress to laptops. Remember when desktops were first available for personal use? That was a big deal! Now print books are quickly being converted to e-books. Technology is advancing it seems every hour on the hour. Is this why it has taken more than two years for my mind to be sold on the e-book idea?

Well, maybe now is the right time.

Ingrained habits or views are stubborn. They don’t change overnight; it’s a steady progression. Despite appearing otherwise, technology (especially as far as devices for e-books go), has accelerated only recently. Now it’s taking off from the runway and speeding towards the future. Hopefully, it’s bringing all of us closer together. Besides making life “easier” and “less complicated” technology should serve us as a community; build a bridge between gaps and enable us to help one another. 

Things I like about the Nook Color:

1. The look. It’s sleek and its design is very modern. (“The Nook’s got the look” could be a new catchphrase. Watch out!)

2. The ability to read in color. This really makes a difference in the reading experience, especially when compared to the Kindle. I imagine this is the way moviegoers must have felt in 1939 when they saw Gone with the Wind for the first time in glowing Technicolor.

3. The menus. It’s like having a mini-laptop. It definitely adds a touch of personalization.

4. The “virtual bookshelf.” It’s a clever concept. This shows how Nook designers are trying to make the device more relatable by simulating the activities associated with reading—even something as simple as taking a book off a shelf.

So will I be standing in line at the nearest Barnes and Noble store to buy my first Nook this weekend? It’s definitely something worth considering. Although it's quite possible that by the time I'm ready to make a purchase, designers will come out with Nook Color 2.0: The Next Generation.

3 Comments:

Blogger K.Williams said...

The "permalink" I posted (which by the way was not supposed to expire (oh, technology!)did actually expire. The New York Times article is called, "Female Magazine Fans Flock to Nook Color" written by Jeremy W. Peters. Enter the title as a search on the website, and it should be the first to pop up.

September 16, 2011 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kristal your narrative was delightful. I loved how you concisely detailed your experience with the Nook. Was it your first time using one?

The first time I used a Nook was on a plane back to Florida.For all intended purposes it was fun; I thought it was nice for a traditional book. Still,I expected the Nook to have vibrancy and glow so Vogue magazine could easily be read upon it.I kept asking myself, "Would I want to skip ahead on homework and tap through numerous pages using the Nook?" Eventually I want to buy the iPad, that much I know for sure. However, if I wanted to splurge on pure unadulterated reading I might pass on the e-readers Kindle and Nook altogether. The Nook Color might be the exception, but I think it definitely needs work to compete with more advanced devices like the iPad.

Great analysis and I hope to read more from you in the future.

Your classmate,

Latesha

September 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Kristal, your wonderful post makes me want to try out the Nook!

September 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home