Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ponderings on the Nook Experience

After my hopes of obtaining the iPad were dashed on Monday, I was offered the Nook Color to fill the void of my broken heart.

To my surprise, not many of my classmates have tried to obtain more free e-books or apps other than the few that were loaded on it previously. At first I thought

sweet, let me see what fantastic books I can get for free

I quickly realized, there is a reason these books are offered for free. Besides the Barnes and Nobel Classics (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights etc.) that are offered merely based on their educational merit and "classic" nature, there are few ebooks that I considered worthy of my downloading them at all.

The browsing and searchability on the Nook was very good, and once I skimmed past the erotica and romance novels thinking..

Someone should warn parents their teens can download not so PG-13 titles for free!

I finally found some titles of moderate interest... such as "Smoothies for Health", "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook" and "100 Quotations To Make you Think!"

After browsing through these books, although the readability of the screen was comfortable, I found myself glancing over the words quickly, falling subject to my technology ADD. I found this wasn't because of my distraction from the source I was reading from, but more because like we suggested in class, the writing is not intriguing enough to keep my attention.

These Free ebooks are not of any good quality and therefore, although addictively easy to download, not worth anyone every buying them.

I then began to browse the free apps that Nook had to offer and was pleased that you can use your Nook to organize yourself, keep track of appointments and also browse the latest news. I then stumbled upon a free app titled "RUN PEE".

Naturally, I HAD to download it.

Upon further investigations, I realized its purpose---for those of us who enjoy going to the movie theater but also buy the obscenely large soda which inevitabily causes you to have that GOTTA GO urge during a pivotal scene.

ALAS our worries are over.... now "RUN PEE" app gives you the not-so-exciting parts of the movie to run out and use the facilities so you no longer have to hold it....

Now, I know what you're thinking.. WTF?! and so was I...so I realized yet again, that free doesn't always mean awesome, and that the reason these things are free is because no one would actually PAY to have that on their Nook....


Or I guess the question is...would they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home