Monday, October 24, 2011

Cruel to be Kind-le

Okay, first off, I don't like technology. I wrote a whole blog about my first experience with the Kindle and I made sure to save my progress when I couldn't think of what else to save. I go to click "Publish Post" and it takes me to the log in page (even though I'm already logged in), so I log in again but it says ERROR and takes me back to the home page. I go to the draft where it should have been saved and all I find is a blank blog! >:o (GRRRRRR!!!!!!)

So here it goes again....

I have been shopping around for a Kindle before I received this one for a test run. At first, I could not find the on/off switch (why is it located on the bottom?). I don't like the flicker of the screen between "pages;" I kept freaking out that the device was going to crash. It took awhile getting used to. As my apartment got darker, I expected the screen to automatically brighten (since family members kept telling me that the screen brightness adjusts to its atmosphere). Also, I kept trying to flip the page with my finger (since I'm so used to playing with my aunt's iPad). In addition, I couldn't figure out how to change the screen saver (or background picture). I would just keep turning it on and off til I found a picture I liked. How do you change the picture? No one would tell me how and I couldn't find the time to figure it out (midterm and various projects to do). I had difficulty highlighting at first, and I couldn't figure out how to see other people's notes. Also, I noticed that the ride side buttons on the device are really easy to push and a little sensitive. I would be reading one page and my hand would accidentally brush up against it and it would change pages on me. The left side button were hard to push, and sometimes when I would press < it would not recognize the command, and it would stay on the same page.

I thought it was funny to see Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on the Kindle since I just bought it from Amazon. I selected the novel and started to flip through it, but I didn't see any illustrations. My print copy includes the original illustrations and I thought it was sad that the Kindle edition did not include the beautiful pictures for readers to enjoy. Even though the Kindle had the novel I wanted to read, I couldn't find myself to read it on the Kindle. I have never read Alice before and I wanted my first time reading it to be with a print edition, not an e-version. I decided to flip through Stars Collide and I found many mistakes, such as large breaks in sentences and a few grammatical errors.

Overall, I can see why the Kindle has appeal; it is cool and sleek, and easy to read off of the screen. I also like that I had many novels in one easily portable device. I could see myself on traveling with it. However, I do not think that I'll be buying one anytime soon. I don't think that I am ready to switch over just yet. Don't get me wrong; I am still shopping around for a Kindle that will fit me (or maybe a Nook). I think that if I had a Kindle right now, I would only be using it for school and reading textbooks off of it. Sadly, many textbooks are not available for the Kindle. Oh well... Maybe I will buy it as a graduation gift? =]

Oh and I was wondering what it would be like to read a poem or a Shakespeare play on the Kindle. Whenever I purchase my Kindle, the first thing I am buying is The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Yes, I am a dork. Yes, I'm proud of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home